We encourage every employee and their spouse/registered domestic partner to adopt (or maintain) healthy lifestyle behaviors. By committing to health and wellness, you will not only feel better, but also earn rewards! Benefits-eligible employees — even if they receive medical benefits from an organization other than Stanford — may participate in the full program. Spouses/registered partners may participate in the SHALA and Wellness Profile.
The gateway to the BeWell program is the Stanford Health and Lifestyle Assessment (SHALA). Completing the SHALA, a 30-minute online questionnaire, helps you understand your lifestyle’s impact on your health. Take your SHALA any time on or after January 3, after which you will become eligible to earn financial incentives and other perks. After the SHALA, employees have the flexibility of starting one or more of the pathways outlined below.
Wellness Profile ($200 employee; $220 spouse)
After completing your SHALA, employees and their spouses may begin the Wellness Profile. The three required steps of the Wellness Profile are:
Screening: Free, one-on-one health screenings on campus provided by BeWell’s trained staff; or, have your screening done at your health care provider’s office.
Advising: An on-campus Advising session with a BeWell Coach immediately follows your Screening, or — if you uploaded screening results obtained from your own health care provider — you may schedule an Advising appointment via Zoom video conferencing or phone.
Plan: An online planning tool for identifying your wellness goals and outlining strategies for achieving them.
Employees intending to complete a Coaching or Commitment Engagement must first complete the Wellness Profile.
Engagement ($260 employee)
When you actively engage in your own wellness, you become more in tune to and committed to your own personal sense of well-being. Employees may choose one of four Engagement offerings that best fits their individual circumstances and goals. (You may complete more than one option, but will receive the Engagement incentive only for the first one you complete.)
The four Engagement options
Coaching: After completing your Wellness Profile, continue the conversation you started during your Advising session — or address something new — either by Zoom video or phone. Then, take action on your goals and finish by writing a brief reflection.
Class: Dive deeper into a wellness issue that is meaningful to you by choosing a class from an approved list of STAP-eligible wellness classes. Course completion includes submission of brief assignments. Complete the Wellness Profile before, during or after completion of your class.
Commitment to family or community: After completing your Wellness Profile, continue the conversation you started during your Advising session and select either a family or a community commitment from our list of suggested actions or one of your own creating. Also, see our BeWell Commitment Resources guide for a comprehensive set of toolkits and other resources to help you craft this Engagement experience. This 6-10-hour commitment includes submitting a plan of your intended action, writing a first reflection, pursuing the planned actions, and writing a final reflection reviewed by our staff.
Healthy Work Environment (HWE): Participate in this customized wellness program with your work group. The full Engagement incentive is earned after completion of two 10-week HWE sessions. (Completion of one 10-week HWE session qualifies you for a $130 incentive.) Complete the Wellness Profile before, during or after completion of your HWE session(s).
To earn the Engagement incentive, the Wellness Profile must also be completed. For Coaching or Commitment, the Wellness Profile must be completed first. For Class or Healthy Work Environment, you may begin your Wellness Profile later. Other deadlines may apply: see Deadlines.
Berries ($100 employee)
Regardless of which other BeWell Program segments you do, any benefits-eligible employee who has completed the SHALA may complete six Berries to earn this $100 incentive. (Spouses are not eligible for the Berry incentive.) Berries are health-related activities that help you put your wellness goals into action. Choose your six Berries from a calendar of options such as exercise classes, fitness assessments, workshops and more.
|Ready to get started?
SIGN IN HERE
|INCENTIVES||Benefits-eligible employees||Spouse/partner of benefits-eligible employee|
|1||Earned by spouse only if employee completes SHALA, Wellness Profile and Engagement per program deadlines and is still employed at Stanford at time of payout (Feb. 2020).|
|2||Payout occurs Feb. 2020.|
|Unless otherwise noted, incentives are paid out two pay periods after program segment is completed.|
Earning Your Incentives
The program begins with SHALA. Once you have completed the SHALA, you can earn the following incentives:
Benefits-eligible employees who complete the Wellness Profile (Screening, Advising, Plan) can earn a $200 incentive. The Wellness Profile incentive is payable two pay periods after completion.
Benefits-eligible employees who complete six Berries can earn a $100 incentive. The Berry incentive is paid out two pay periods after all six Berries are completed.
Benefits-eligible employees who complete any one of four Engagement options — Coaching, Class, Commitment to Family or Community, or two sessions in a Healthy Work Environment Group — can earn a $260 incentive. (Employees participating in a HWE group for one 10-week session can earn $130.) In addition to the SHALA, the Wellness Profile is required to earn this incentive. The Engagement incentive is paid out in February 2020.
Spouses or registered domestic partners who complete the Wellness Profile can earn a $220 incentive. However, the employee must complete Engagement, per program deadlines, to qualify the spouse for an incentive. Spouse incentives are paid out in February 2020.
While the overall Program deadline is November 30, 2019, there are also interim deadlines during the year. Most notably, employees pursuing the Coaching or Commitment Engagement must complete Screening & Advising (parts of the Wellness Profile) by October 31. Review important deadlines.
|July 1||Session 1 (first 10 weeks) Healthy Work Environment (HWE) group goals submission deadline if participating in two sessions for full Engagement incentive|
|September 16||Session 2 (second 10 weeks) Healthy Work Environment (HWE) group goals submission deadline if participating in two sessions for full Engagement incentive;
Session 1 HWE group goals submission deadline if participating in only one session for partial incentive
|October 15||Deadline to upload your Screening-by-provider results if screening is done outside of BeWell|
|October 31 to
|Interim Engagement deadlines|
|November 30||End of the 2019 BeWell program — deadline to complete SHALA, Wellness Profile, Engagement, Berries|
|February 2020||Engagement and spouse/partner incentives paid out as long as employee is still a benefits-eligible Stanford University employee|
Last day to submit first session HWE goals if participating in HWE for the $260 Engagement incentive.
Last day to submit second-session HWE goals (if participating in HWE for the $260 Engagement incentive) or first-session HWE goals (if participating in HWE for the partial $130 Engagement incentive).
Deadline to register for an online Engagement Class.
Deadline to register for BeWell Walkers if you are ordering a pedometer. (If you have your own pedometer, you can register until October 18.)
Deadline to upload your Screening-by-provider results for the Wellness Profile.
If you wish to submit screening results from your health care provider instead of attending a BeWell appointment, sign in to your account for instructions on uploading your results by October 15. Then, register for a remote Advising appointment, selecting either a Zoom video conference or phone appointment. (If you obtain screening results from your provider after the October 15 deadline, you can register for an in-person Screening/Advising appointment and bring a copy of your results to that appointment.)
October 31 to November 15
If you have selected Coaching as your Engagement: October 31 is the last day to complete Screening and Advising.
If you have selected Commitment as your Engagement: October 31 is the last day to complete Screening and Advising and to submit your Commitment Plan; November 15 is the last day to submit your first Reflection.
End of the 2019 BeWell program. This is the last day to complete any remaining steps of the 2019 BeWell program per program rules.
Engagement and Spouse/Partner incentives paid out.
Thanks to feedback from participants, the BeWell Program has become more flexible and has expanded to include more creative options for your wellness journey.
New in 2019:
- We’ve posted two new BeWell Workshops on mindfulness, one at Redwood City and the other at SLAC. Log into your account to register and get closer to the $100 Berry incentive.
- Starting in the Fall Quarter, BeWell participants will receive 2 Berries for each Group Fitness Pass they purchase through Stanford Recreation & Wellness.
- Zoom video conferencing is here! For your Wellness Profile, if you are getting your Screening done at your health care provider’s office, you can also complete Advising remotely — and, in 2019, we have introduced a Zoom video conferencing option for a safe, virtual chat with your BeWell Coach. Similarly, if you are working toward completing Engagement (and have selected the Coaching option), you may select Zoom appointments.
Do you know?
- You don’t have to be one of the Stanford employees who misses the opportunity to use an average 40% of their STAP funds each year. In addition to using these funds for career development, eligible Stanford University employees may use STAP funds for approved wellness classes, workshops and webinars. Learn more. Looking for a STAP-covered wellness workshop? Try a Health Living class.
- With Well Time, you can convert up to 8 hours of your sick time each year to use toward participation in BeWell services, if your supervisor approves.
- We offer more free sporting events! We’ve partnered with Stanford Athletics to increase the free events you get from 7 to 9. That’s four free tickets for each of 9 events, or a total of 36 free tickets per employee!
- Whether you are doing your Wellness Profile or already participating in an Engagement activity, such as a Healthy Work Environment, you can also complete Berries for an added incentive.
- All 6 of your required Berries can be earned remotely, by combining Away-from-Stanford options with remote Stanford Berries.
- All benefits-eligible employees can earn the highest incentive we offer — even if they receive medical benefits from an organization other than Stanford.
- All spouses and registered domestic partners of benefits-eligible Stanford employees can earn an incentive, too.
- Your personal data will not be shared.
- We offer 4 Engagement options: Coaching, Healthy Work Environment (HWE), Commitment to Family or Community, or a Class.
- If you’ve chosen the Healthy Work Environment (HWE) Engagement option, you can arrange for Wellness on Wheels to provide a workshop for your group, and the 10-person minimum is waived. (A HWE group must be a minimum of 5 people.)