The Wellness Profile is designed to help you achieve your wellness goals — whether it’s starting an exercise program, decreasing stress, or maintaining your current healthy habits. You decide what you want to achieve and how you want to achieve it.
You must complete your SHALA before starting the Wellness Profile.
The Wellness Profile is comprised of three parts:
1. Screening: Your total cholesterol, HDL, LDL, triglycerides, glucose, body mass index, height and weight, waist circumference and blood pressure are measured. These free screenings are performed at five locations around campus. You will need to fast 10-12 hours prior to your appointment (no gum, coffee, or food; however, water and prescription medications are acceptable and encouraged). Pregnant women and participants with certain health conditions are not required to fast.
You can also have your Screening done at your doctor’s office (with a co-pay). You may then bring a copy of your lab work with you to your Advising appointment, or you may upload your lab work by Oct. 15.
2. Advising: You meet with a BeWell Coach to answer questions you may have about your Screening results and discuss your wellness goals. Our Coaches can help you achieve diverse goals, such as starting a walking program, completing a marathon, decreasing stress through meditation, eating more nutritious food, or maintaining current healthy habits.
You attend a free, one-on-one Advising session immediately after your Screening appointment. If you upload your Screening-by-Physician results, you may schedule an Advising-only in-person or phone appointment after BeWell has received your results.
3. Plan: You create an action plan with your Coach, and then fill out a five-question online Plan after your appointment. The Plan identifies your wellness goals and outlines strategies for achieving them.
For benefits-eligible employees, the Wellness Profile incentive is $200, payable in 2017 approximately two pay periods following completion.
Spouses/partners receive $220 for completion of the Wellness Profile, payable in early 2019, assuming the employee has met the above Screening & Advising deadline and is still employed at Stanford at the time of payout.
Last day to upload health screening information obtained from a doctor’s office.
• Last day for employees to complete Screening and Advising if they intend to proceed to an Engagement option and also seek to qualify a spouse/partner for an incentive.
• Same deadline applies for employees, whether married or not, intending to complete either the Coaching or the Commitment Engagement.
Last day for employees and spouses/partners to complete all three parts of the Wellness Profile.
What is the Wellness Profile?
1. Screening (conducted by BeWell or by your physician)
2. Advising (available in-person immediately following your BeWell screening or by-phone appointment)
3. Plan (completed by you through your BeWell account)
What is the Screening?
Screening, provided for free at several convenient BeWell locations, consists of the following measurements assessing risk for heart disease, diabetes and metabolic syndrome:
- Total Cholesterol (TC)*
- High Density Lipoprotein (HDL)*
- Low-Density Lipoprotein (LDL)*
- Triglycerides (TG)*
- Blood Pressure
- Body Mass Index (Height and Weight)
- Waist Circumference
* These are FASTING, finger-stick tests. Fasting means no food (including gum or candy) or drink should be consumed within ten to twelve hours of your appointment. Water and prescription medications are acceptable and encouraged. Pregnant women and participants with certain health conditions are not required to fast.
Screening information can also be acquired through your personal physician if you have had blood work done after November 1, 2017. Special deadlines apply (see Important Program Deadlines.)
I am pregnant; do I still need to fast?
No. Our participants who are pregnant may not find it comfortable or feasible to fast for 10-12 hours. We are happy to make an exception to the fasting rule in this case. Please still plan to come in for a finger-stick so we can obtain all of the necessary information. Your health screener will ask you about pregnancy status at the start of the appointment.
I am a diabetic on a regular course of insulin; do I still need to fast?
No. Participants who have diabetes and are on insulin may not find it feasible to fast for 10-12 hours. We are happy to make an exception to the fasting rule in this case. Please still plan to come in for a finger-stick so we can obtain all of the necessary information. Your health screener will ask you about medication status at the start of the appointment.
I have another health concern that makes it difficult for me to fast. Are there other options?
We understand. Please contact our BeWell office directly to talk about your specific situation.
How do I complete my Screening with BeWell?
Screenings are offered Monday through Friday from January through November. You can register for your Screening appointment by signing into the program. Click the Screening button under the Wellness Profile heading and you will be able to register for a date and time that fits your schedule. Testing takes place daily between 7:00 a.m. and 11:00 a.m. at various locations on and off campus.
Where are the appointments held?
Screening and Advising appointments are available in several locations throughout the year: Ford-Burnham Pavilion, 1070 Arastradero, 3160 Porter Drive, Li Ka Shing, Lokey Stem Cell Research Building and the SLAC Recreation Facility. Map. Once a year, we travel to Redwood City, Livermore, and Monterey Bay.
How many times can I participate in the Screening?
You are eligible for one Screening per calendar year. If you are interested in a second screening in the same calendar year, please contact BeWell.
Do I need to wait a full 12 months between each Screening?
No. You may schedule your Screening at any time during the calendar year. We encourage participants to come in earlier in the year to make the most of the BeWell Program. Additionally, appointments fill up quickly in the fall and become more difficult to schedule.
Can I choose to visit my doctor to complete my Screening?
Yes. Sign into your account, and click the “Screening” link under the Wellness Profile. You will select “Option 2: Screening by Physician,” confirm, and then upload your screening results per the upload instructions. Once we review your data, you will receive an email confirmation and can schedule your phone Advising appointment through our online portal. Please note that the last day to upload your Screening by Physician data is October 15.
What is Advising?
The 10-30 minute Advising session is an opportunity for you to discuss your screening results and any areas of interest related to your health and wellness. Your BeWell Coaches hold advanced degrees in fields like Exercise Science, Nutrition, Counseling, and Public Health. This session can be used for setting goals, gathering information, learning about resources and/or getting support in maintaining existing healthy habits.
Can I schedule a Screening and Advising session at the same time?
Yes. If you choose to receive your screening through BeWell, your appointment time will include both Screening and Advising sessions.
How do I do the Advising appointment if I upload my screening results obtained from my own doctor?
Once the BeWell office receives your screening results, we will update your account and you will receive an email letting you know when you can log into your account and schedule an Advising-only appointment. Your Advising session can be done in person or by phone at a date and time that is convenient for you.
Instead of uploading my screening results obtained from my doctor’s office, can I bring them with me to my appointment?
Yes. If your screening was done after November 1, 2017 and includes all the necessary screening measurements, you may schedule a combined Screening and Advising appointment and bring a copy of your screening results with you to the appointment.
What if I need to cancel my Screening or Advising session?
Cancellations must be done online at least 24 hours prior to the scheduled session. If it is at least 24 hours prior, you can cancel online through your BeWell account and reschedule for another date and time. If it is less than 24 hours, please contact the BeWell office.
What is the Plan?
The Plan is an online tool for developing personal wellness strategies. Your BeWell Coach will help you get started with your Plan during your advising session. You can then complete it on your own by logging into your BeWell account.
|Mark your calendar
Important Program Deadlines
Learn more about Program incentives