Engage in wellness with the support and camaraderie of those in your work group.
Healthy Work Environment (HWE), a customized wellness program that you and your co-workers create and complete together, is one of four BeWell Engagement options — and thereby qualifies you for the highest incentive in the BeWell Program.
A HWE group is a great way to engage in wellness because co-workers support each other in achieving a shared wellness goal. Co-workers can enrich relationships, foster collaboration and decrease stress — creating a happier and more relaxed workplace. (See this video as an example of a current HWE group: The BEAM Group of Stanford Career Education.)
This flexible program lets you choose what activities to do and when and where to do them. HWE groups have participated in:
- Destination walks – walking to an interesting place on- or off-campus
- Wellness presentations by HIP
- Five-minute meditation breaks
- Healthy potluck lunches
- Walk and talk meetings
You may participate in a HWE group even if you receive medical benefits from an organization other than Stanford.
How is the HWE Engagement incentive earned?
You must complete your SHALA before starting your HWE Engagement. Completion of the Wellness Profile is also required, but you may complete it after you have already joined or participated in your HWE group.
To earn the full Engagement incentive ($260) for participation in a HWE group, a member must:
- Be a benefits-eligible employee
- Start or join a HWE and submit group goals by July 1, 2019 (first session) and September 16 (second session)
- Successfully meet the two sets of goals during the two 10-week HWE sessions
- Complete SHALA and Wellness Profile by the Program deadline of Nov. 30, 2019, which — together with the HWE Engagement incentive — qualifies you for a $460 incentive ($200 for Wellness Profile plus $260 for HWE Engagement)
- Should you also choose to do Berries, you would earn an additional $100, for a total of $560 in BeWell incentives.
To earn a modified incentive of $130 for HWE Engagement, a member must:
- Be a benefits-eligible employee
- Start or join a HWE and submit group goals by Sept. 16, 2019
- Successfully meet the program’s goals for 10 weeks
- Complete SHALA and Wellness Profile by the Program deadline of Nov. 30, 2019, which —together with the HWE incentive — qualifies you for a $330 incentive ($200 for Wellness Profile plus $130 for HWE Engagement).
- Should you also choose to do Berries, you would earn an additional $100, for a total of $430 in BeWell incentives.
How do you start or join a HWE group?
You can start a HWE group by signing into your account to complete the Ambassador application. As an Ambassador, you will recruit participants, track participation and inform BeWell about how your group is doing. You will connect with other Ambassadors and BeWell to share your experiences and learn from each other, as well as celebrate your achievements with free gifts and special events. BeWell provides continuous support to help each HWE group succeed. Sound interesting? Fill out our interest survey. Need more information? See our complete Guide to Starting a Healthy Work Environment group.
Don’t want to start a group? You can request to join an existing group by signing into your account to find a group near you. Contact the group’s Ambassador to discuss membership and request to join the group if you both agree it’s a good fit.
Healthy Work Environment FAQs
What is the incentive for participating in an HWE group?
HWE is an Engagement option which qualifies an employee for a $260 incentive (for completion of two 10-week sessions of goals within their HWE group), or $130 for one 10-week session.
Can I earn an incentive for participating in an HWE group and an incentive for completing six Berries?
Yes! The Berry incentive is an additional $100, and Berries can be completed any time during the Program year.
Must I complete the SHALA before joining my HWE group?
Yes. The SHALA needs to be completed before beginning HWE.
Must I complete the Wellness Profile? and, if so, when?
Yes, to earn the HWE Engagement incentive, you must also complete the Wellness Profile by the final Program deadline of November 30, 2019. You may begin your HWE activities prior to beginning or completing your Wellness Profile. (For further information on pertinent Wellness Profile deadlines, if you are an HWE member, see Important Program Deadlines.)
Who can help us become a Healthy Work Environment?
Work groups can identify an individual to apply to become an Ambassador. This individual will work with the HWE program to address the goals of the work group.
What are the responsibilities and time commitment associated with being an Ambassador?
The Ambassador recruits participants, helps the group develop goals (see HWE Sample Group Goals) and measures, and promotes the program at staff meetings and gatherings. The Ambassador monitors the group’s progress, provides monthly updates to BeWell on the group’s status, and identifies group members who are eligible for the incentive(s).
What support does BeWell provide?
BeWell works with the Ambassador to develop HWE goals (see HWE Sample Group Goals) and measures. We provide resources, education and ongoing support throughout the quarter to help facilitate group participation, keep groups on track, adjust goals and evaluate progress.
|Mark your calendar
Interim and ending Program deadlines
See other Engagement options