What is the BeWell @ Stanford Student Wellness Passport Program?
The BeWell @ Stanford Student Wellness Passport Program is a wellness program put together by the Stanford Department of Athletics, Physical Education & Recreation (DAPER) and Vaden Health Center to assist Stanford students in taking steps toward a healthier lifestyle. The goal of the program is to motivate and reward students for taking action to maintain or improve their health. Participation in the program is geared toward full-time undergraduate, graduate and post-doc students. See the eligibility charts for more detail on who is eligible for participation and rewards.
Who can participate in the BeWell @ Stanford Student Wellness Passport Program?
Full-time undergraduate, graduate and post-doc students can participate in the full program and will receive the wellness rewards, according to their participation. See the eligibility charts for more detail.
What is SHA?
SHA stands for Student Health Appraisal — a confidential online health risk assessment that takes about 20 minutes to complete. Immediately upon completion, respondents will have access to an individualized report to help them understand and interpret their results. SHA will:
- Help you understand the healthfulness of your current lifestyle behaviors, outline areas where you do well, and identify areas where there is room for improvement.
- Provide you with behavior targets to maintain your healthy lifestyle or reduce your risk and improve your health.
- Help you assess your readiness for lifestyle change.
- Give you strategies to reach your health goals.
How does the BeWell @ Stanford Student Wellness Passport Program work?
The program has three steps to help you accomplish your wellness and health goals. Please note that all personal information you enter on the BeWell @ Stanford Student Wellness Passport Program web site is confidential and will not be shared (without your consent) with Stanford University outside of the BeWell program and its team members. Aggregate data will be used for the purposes outlined in the privacy statement.
What are the three steps of the program?
- Step 1: Assess Your Wellness – Complete an online confidential health risk appraisal called the Student Health Appraisal (SHA) and receive a Jamba Juice gift card as a wellness reward. Taking the time to complete this survey will allow you to identify which healthy lifestyle behaviors you currently engage in, as well as areas for possible improvement. Rewards can be picked up at the BeWell Office in Burnham Pavilion between 3 p.m. - 5 p.m., Monday through Friday, or by appointment. Contact us to set up a time at email@example.com
- Step 2: Plan for Success – Complete the online Personal Wellness Plan using the information you gained from taking the SHA. This plan will guide you in the development and achievement of your goals for life-long wellness. Once you complete your Wellness Plan, you are eligible to participate in wellness activities in Step 3, with potential for earning more wellness rewards.
- Step 3: Take Action! – Receive credit for completing 9 of the 12 Wellness Trip activities (see [link to activities list]) to be eligible for the Step 3 rewards and recognition of completion of the Wellness Passport Program.
What is a Wellness Trip?
In Step 3 of the Student Wellness Passport Program, 12 wellness activities are listed and each activity is called a “Wellness Trip.” Completion of 9 activities qualifies you for a reward. As you complete each activity, a stamp will appear on the Step 3 website page to indicate your progress along your journey toward better overall health and wellness. See below.
What are the Step 3 Rewards?
- Free ticket for you and a friend to Big Game for you and a guest (drawing is Friday, Nov. 19).
- Three (3) free Personal Training Sessions at ACSR Fitness Center (drawing is Friday, Feb. 4).
- Free Wii+WiiFit package (drawing is Wednesday, June 1).
Note: If you are chosen for one of these rewards and are not interested, you can opt for one free class/activity in the ACSR for the following quarter (e.g., Boot Camp class, Rock Climbing, Indoor Cycling).
How do I report completion of my Wellness Trips?
Prior to beginning the BeWell @ Stanford Student Wellness Passport Program, all students will be asked to sign a privacy statement. This signature indicates that all the information you provide to the BeWell program is true and accurate to the best of your knowledge. An entry for completion of Wellness Trips is done through self-report on the Student Wellness Passport Program website.
How will I know if I win the drawing?
The BeWell Office will contact you to notify you that you’ve won. You will have two weeks to claim your prize, or you will have to forfeit it.
What if my name is drawn for one of the prizes and I decide to decline?
If the prize that you’ve been chosen for does not appeal to you and you’d like to choose another reward, you have the option of choosing one activity class that would normally require payment (e.g., access to the Climbing Wall, an Indoor Cycling class) that you would like to enjoy for the following quarter free of charge.
Will my name stay in the drawing for the entire academic year?
Yes. As soon as you complete 9 of the 12 Wellness Trips, your name will be automatically added to the drawing. Your name will stay in the drawing until either your name is drawn to win a prize or the academic year ends (June 8, 2011).
How do I cancel a Campus Police Ride-Along?
Cancellation must be done least 48 hours prior to your session if you want the opportunity to reschedule. If you do not cancel or reschedule 48 hours prior to your session, you will forfeit the opportunity to earn this Wellness Trip. Contact the BeWell Office at firstname.lastname@example.org or 650-721-2984 to reschedule.
When does the BeWell @ Stanford Student Wellness Passport Program start and end?
The annual program follows the Stanford University Academic Calendar, which begins in September and ends in June. September 20, 2010 is the first day you can participate in the program for the current year. You are free to participate in the program at your own pace. However, there are benefits offered throughout the year that require the completion of various steps of the program. For maximum benefits, you are encouraged to complete Steps 1 and 2 right away. Individuals must complete activities by May 31, 2011 to be entered into the final drawing of the year 2010.
How many times can I take SHA?
Students are encouraged to take SHA as often as they like to track changes in their lifestyle behaviors. Students will receive only one Jamba Juice wellness reward per academic year.
When will I receive my rewards?
All rewards can be picked up in the BeWell Office, Monday through Friday 3 p.m. - 5 p.m., or by appointment. The BeWell Office is located in Burnham Pavilion, on the corner of Serra and Galvez Street. Contact us at email@example.com with questions to schedule an appointment.
What happens to the information I report on the web site as part of the BeWell @ Stanford Student Wellness Passport Program?
All information is confidential and will be stored on a secure server within the Stanford School of Medicine. To learn more about the uses of your data, please consult the privacy statement.
Can my professors, parents, other Stanford University affiliates or health plan see my responses to any online questions?
No. Individuals’ responses will not be shared and cannot be seen by anyone outside of the BeWell Program. Aggregate data may be compiled and used for the purposes stated in the privacy statement.
Does a wellness class or activity completed outside of the University qualify for the rewards?
At this time, only wellness programs and services that are provided on campus through the BeWell @ Stanford Student Wellness Passport Program (e.g., classes offered by PE and Rec, Unwind presentations, Wellness and Health Promotion talks) are eligible for the rewards.
If I take a fitness class or personal training session at my health club does it count towards my “Wellness Trip” activities?
Not at this time.
I took three different Group Fitness classes through PE/Rec. Does this qualify for three Wellness Trips?
No, but congratulations for being so motivated! Taking one or more group fitness classes counts as one Wellness Trip activity.
How do I sign up for group fitness classes?
Who can I contact with questions regarding the BeWell @ Stanford Student Wellness Passport Program?
Contact the BeWell Office at 650-721-2984 or firstname.lastname@example.org
How can I correct/update my account information, such as email?
Click here to update your profile. You need to log in first.