Earn money for wellness activities on- and off-campus
Berries are health-related activities that put your wellness goals into action. Benefits-eligible university employees can earn a $100 (taxable) incentive by completing six Berries between January 2 and November 30, 2018. Two of the six Berries can be earned from the off-campus activities outlined below. On-campus Berry options include a large selection of workshops, classes and programs, also profiled below.
Please note that you must first take the SHALA before participating in any Berry activities.
Spouses/partners are not eligible for Berries.
Eligible off-campus Berry activities are listed below, each linked to the matching validation form you need to fill out and upload in order to receive Berry credit. You may use validation forms for up to two off-campus Berries.
- Fitness class, nutrition class, stress class, or other health enrichment class taken at a gym, community center or other non-Stanford organization
- Fitness assessment at a non-Stanford facility
- Working out with a personal trainer at a non-Stanford fitness facility
- Tracking your physical activity and/or nutrition with an app or fitness device
- Running/walking in an organized race event
- Attending Weight Watchers or a similar wellness support group
- Annual well-visit with your healthcare provider
- BeWell online wellness video/workshop
- Completing WELL for Life survey
On-campus Berry opportunities can be found by visiting our Berry calendar and through your BeWell account. Examples of on-campus opportunities include:
- Fitness assessment – A free, annual 30-minute assessment. Take it every year to monitor your progress.
- Personal training – Get two Berries for two free, annual 60-minute sessions with a Stanford certified personal trainer.
- Fitness classes – Earn Berries for each reduced rate ($30) Health Improvement Program (HIP) fitness class you take and reduced rate ($60) Stanford Recreation Group Fitness Pass you purchase during the program year.
- BeWell Walkers – A free, online 10-week walking program with tracking log and walking maps designed to gradually increase your physical activity level.
- BeWell workshops – Attend free, lunchtime workshops on nutrition, stress management, sleep and other wellness topics, or watch recordings of select workshops through your BeWell account. You can earn Berries for each workshop you attend or watch.
- Healthy Living classes – HIP offers fee-based, in-depth classes on nutrition, stress management, weight management, mindfulness and other wellness topics.
- Workshops and classes offered by our campus partners – These workshops and classes may either be free or fee-based, and some may require a validation form. Topics include relationship-building, emotional intelligence, elder/child caregiving, workspace well-being and emergency preparedness. Eligible workshops and classes are offered by the Help Center, WorkLife, Environmental Health and Safety, Sustainable Stanford, and Continuing Studies.
What is the Berry incentive?
All university benefits-eligible employees who complete the SHALA and six Berries between January 2, 2018 and November 30, 2018 will receive a $100 (taxable) wellness incentive.
Is the Berry incentive separate from other incentives in the Program?
When do I receive payment for completing my Berries?
This incentive will be processed following the completion of your sixth Berry and will be included in a regular paycheck labeled “Berries” under earnings within two pay periods.
Can spouses and domestic partners do Berries?
Spouses and registered domestic partners are not eligible for Berries.
How can I track my Berries?
Track your Berries by signing into your BeWell account. “In progress” Berries are yellow and “complete” Berries are red. Berries that are red with a white checkmark are being applied to your $100 incentive. Please see the legend below:
Not Started In Progress Complete Incentive
Is there a limit to the number of Berries I can do?
Will I receive an additional incentive if I complete more than six Berries?
How many validation forms can I use?
You may use one or a maximum of two validation forms to receive credit for off-campus Berries. For on-campus Berries, you may use up to a maximum six validation forms.
What is the best way to find a Berry?
Berries have been divided into on- and off-campus categories. Start by finding the category that most interests you and then review your options. Alternatively, you can check our Berry Calendar for a complete list of all one-time classes and workshops being offered by BeWell and our campus partners. Lastly, we encourage you to use validation forms for all off-campus services you are currently utilizing to fulfill your Berry requirements.
Can I still participate in Berries for an incentive if I am not on a Stanford-sponsored medical plan or not sharing my data?
Yes. Berries are available to all benefits-eligible Stanford employees, regardless of their benefits elections or data sharing status. Please visit our Incentive Calculator for further clarification.
Calendar of Berry incentive activities
|Mark your calendar
Interim and ending Program deadlines