Earn money for wellness activities
Berries are health-related activities that put your wellness goals into action. All benefits-eligible university employees, regardless of where they receive their medical benefits, can earn a $100 (taxable) incentive for completing six Berries between January 3 and November 30, 2019.
You must take the SHALA before participating in any Berry activities. You can begin your Berries before or while you are involved in other parts of the BeWell Program, such as the Wellness Profile and Engagement.
Stanford Berries include a large selection of workshops, classes and programs — several of which can be completed remotely. You can look for Stanford Berry options when you log into your BeWell account, or you can check our Berry Calendar for a complete list of all one-time classes and workshops.
Two of the six Berries may be earned from activities completed away from Stanford.
Interested in doing all six Berries remotely? It’s possible! For example, choose two away-from-Stanford Berries (such as an annual well-visit with your health care provider and a community gym class) and four of the remote Stanford Berries (such as two webinars and two video workshops).
Berry opportunities offered by Stanford can be found by visiting our Berry calendar and through your BeWell account. These Berries are offered by Stanford departments and programs, both on the main campus and satellite campuses worldwide, and include remote options:
- Fitness assessment – A free, annual 30-minute assessment. Take it every year to monitor your progress.
- Personal training – Get two Berries for two free, annual 60-minute sessions with a Stanford certified personal trainer.
- Fitness classes – Earn Berries for each reduced rate ($30) Health Improvement Program (HIP) fitness class you take and reduced rate ($60) Stanford Recreation Group Fitness Pass you purchase during the program year.
- BeWell workshops – Attend free, lunchtime workshops on nutrition, stress management, sleep and other wellness topics, or watch recordings of select workshops through your BeWell account. You can earn Berries for each workshop you attend or watch.
- Healthy Living classes – The Health Improvement Program (HIP) offers fee-based, in-depth classes on nutrition, stress management, weight management, mindfulness and other wellness topics.
- Workshops and classes offered by our campus partners – These workshops and classes may either be free or fee-based, and some may require a validation form. Topics include relationship-building, emotional intelligence, elder/child caregiving, workspace well-being and emergency preparedness. Eligible workshops and classes are offered by the Help Center, WorkLife, Environmental Health and Safety, Sustainable Stanford, and Continuing Studies.
- Webinars – Offered through the Health Improvement Program each quarter on a variety of wellness topics. Can use STAP funds.
- Video workshops – Offered through BeWell
- BeWell Walkers – Free, online 10-week walking program with tracking log and walking maps designed to gradually increase your physical activity level.
- WELL for Life survey – Online survey that can be completed in about 30-40 minutes, asking about a variety of factors that may impact your well-being.
Berry activities that you can complete away from Stanford are listed below, each linked to the matching validation form you need to fill out and upload in order to receive your Berry. You may use validation forms for up to two away-from-Stanford Berries.
- Fitness class, nutrition class, stress class, or other health enrichment class taken at a gym, community center or other non-Stanford organization
- Fitness assessment at a non-Stanford facility
- Working out with a personal trainer at a non-Stanford fitness facility
- Tracking your physical activity and/or nutrition with an app or fitness device
- Running/walking in an organized race event
- Attending Weight Watchers or a similar wellness support group
- Annual well-visit with your healthcare provider
Can spouses and domestic partners do Berries?
Spouses and registered domestic partners are not eligible for Berries.
What is the Berry incentive?
All university benefits-eligible employees who complete the SHALA and six Berries between January 2, 2019 and November 30, 2019 will receive a $100 (taxable) wellness incentive — regardless of their medical benefits elections.
Is the Berry incentive separate from other incentives in the Program?
Yes. Employees who complete six Berries before the November 30, 2019 deadline earn the $100 (taxable) incentive whether or not they participate in the Wellness Profile or Engagement. The SHALA must be completed prior to starting your Berries.
When do I receive payment for completing my Berries?
This incentive will be processed following the completion of your sixth Berry and will be included in a regular paycheck labeled “Berries” under earnings within two pay periods.
How can I track my Berries?
Track your Berries by signing into your BeWell account. “In progress” Berries are yellow and “complete” Berries are red. Berries that are red with a white checkmark are being applied to your $100 incentive. Please see the legend below:
Not Started In Progress Complete Incentive
Is there a limit to the number of Berries I can do?
Will I receive an additional incentive if I complete more than six Berries?
How many validation forms can I use?
You may use one or a maximum of two validation forms to receive credit for Away-from-Stanford Berries. For Stanford Berries, you may use up to a maximum six validation forms.
What is the best way to find a Berry?
Berries have been divided into Stanford and Away-from-Stanford categories. Start by browsing the list of options, above, to review your options. Alternatively, you can check our Berry Calendar for a complete list of all one-time classes and workshops being offered by BeWell and our campus partners. Lastly, we encourage you to use validation forms for all away-from-Stanford activities you are engaging in to fulfill your Berry requirements.
Can I still participate in Berries for an incentive if I am not on a Stanford-sponsored medical plan?
Yes. Berries are available to all benefits-eligible Stanford employees, regardless of their benefits elections. Please visit our Incentive Calculator for further clarification.
Calendar of Berry incentive activities
|Mark your calendar
Interim and ending Program deadlines